When working with Windows Server 2012 there are a few ways to grant access to users for Remote Access. If you encounter any issues try these few steps.
- Open Windows Explorer -> Right Click This PC -> Properties -> Left Side Bar -> Remote Settings -> “Allow Remote Connections to this Computer”
- Open Windows Explorer -> Right Click This PC -> Properties -> Left Side Bar -> Remote Settings -> Select Users -> Add Specified Non-Administrator User
- Press Start -> Type “Edit Local Users and Groups” -> Groups (Left Side Bar) -> Remote Desktop Users (Right Click – Properties) -> Add User to Group
- (Last Resort, test all others before doing this one) Press Start -> Type “Edit Group Policy” -> Navigate through the Nested Policies to:
- Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Allow log on through Remote Desktop Service
- Add User to the Policy Assignment
The above should take care of potential basic issues with Windows Server 2012 and even other versions of Windows such as 7, 8, 8.1, Server 2016, and others.
Start from the top down and test each before moving onto the next with potential reboots in-between each step.
Number 4 should be a last resort.